Wednesday, June 1, 2011


I started out the day at 4am.   I just couldn't sleep anymore - the time change and all the excitement of being in Ethiopia didn't allow me to sleep in.  But that was okay.  It gave me quiet time - time that I spent doing things like gazing at the coffee and lime tree growing in our little grass area by the guest house - gazing out the window at the door that the boys were sleeping behind and lots of time to be able to read my bible.  I love those moments that are so quiet and seem so perfect.   God is so amazing!

See the Limes ...

and the coffee beans

We went to breakfast at 7am again and then went back to play with the little boys.  Each of them were very apprehensive to come out of their play room and come to us.  No crying this day, they just seems really scared.  I can't even begin to understand what is going through their little minds and hearts.  They were very quiet at first and then like every other day warmed up and enjoyed playing with us.  Buche was full of energy and is so much fun.   Burka is very soft spoken and tender hearted.  He showed off his fine motor skills for us today they way he handled the soccer ball.  

We played with the boys until about 11am, and then we went off to do a few things in the city.   First we went to the bank and exchanged some US dollars for Birr.  Then we went to an art gallery.  We looked at many beautiful pieces of art.  Amazing work!  Then we headed off the the Market.  We picked up a few things at the Market, but it was a different kind of shopping than we were used to.  It was a bit overwhelming.  I've already started a list of things that I would like to pick up on our next trip ...  I needed time to process and think about things and I was just too overwhelmed to do that this day.  The kids did great at the Market - but it was a hard place for each of us to take in the sites of street kids, homeless people, hungry people, mama's and babies, disabled people and sick people. 

Then we went to a coffee shop and bought some Ethiopian coffee beans.  The smell of the beans roasting in the shop was absolutely heavenly! 

After the coffee shop, we went up in the hills of Addis and ate at a restaurant that overlooked Addis.   The photo's below were taken at that restaurant.  It was an amazing view of the city!  The kids had coke, fanta and chicken nuggets and french fries.  That was their highlight ... they thought we were back in America for a bit.  

After lunch, we went back to the care center and spent the rest of the day playing with the boys.  They were done with naps and snacks when we arrived.  Buche came out to greet us, but didn't seem super excited to see us.  Burka cried so hard when he saw us that the nannies kept him with them for awhile.  The staff at the care center are so helpful and we appreciated them so much!  While we were playing with Buche, Burka would come over to the door and peek out to see what we were doing.  He watched and smiled until we acknowledged him - then he quickly ran back in the room.  Ryan went over to the doorway of the room that Burka was in and sat there.  Burka came over to Ryan when he was ready and gave him a hug.  So precious!  Eventually, he let Ryan lift him up and take him out to play with us.  While Burka seemed sad, Buche seemed angry this afternoon.  Again, we can not image what was going through their little minds.  Afternoons also seemed harder than morning.  

Then it was time for the boys to go for dinner ... and us too.  We walked over the to other house, ate and then tucked the 5 kids in at our guest house.  Ryan and I walked over to Buche and Burka's room and when we walked in they both smiled.  Melt my heart!  We kissed them good night, told them we loved them. I know that the Lord is working on all of our hearts, strengthening us day by day.

‘Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10 

No comments: